[LMB] OT: School days

Raye Johnsen raye_j at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 2 03:38:27 BST 2016

This is definitely regional. Here in Australia, the school year begins on the Monday of the last week of January and finishes on the last Friday before the 25th December. Yes, that does mean that sometimes school breaks up on Christmas Eve.  But it also means that kids get a full month off in summer here.
Raye

Sent from Yahoo7 Mail on Android

  On Tue, 2 Aug, 2016 at 12:15 PM, Jelbelser<jelbelser at comcast.net> wrote:   >
> my kids having grown up in New England, when my son was in college in
> TN he thought it was hilarious the way they closed everything down for
> a half-inch of snow.

Thing is, lots of time we don't get snow, we get ice. If we do get snow, it turns into ice on the roads. Counties have salt to put on roads, but not plows.

Also, the roads may be 95% clear, but if there are a few areas where the roads still aren't safe (shady, hilly, curvy roads) they close the schools so that kids living in those areas are not put in danger getting to school or miss days everyone else is in class. This may not be the correct decision, but it is what they go by.

Janet in TN, who has driven on enough frozen roads that I swore never to do it again
Lois-Bujold mailing list message sent to raye_j at yahoo.com
Lois-Bujold at lists.herald.co.uk