[LMB] OT: School days

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Tue Aug 2 12:02:57 BST 2016

On Tue, 2 Aug 2016 02:38:27 +0000 (UTC), Raye Johnsen <raye_j at yahoo.com>
wrote:

>This is definitely regional. Here in Australia, the school year begins on the Monday of the last week of January and finishes on the last Friday before the 25th December. Yes, that does mean that sometimes school breaks up on Christmas Eve.  But it also means that kids get a full month off in summer here.

The UK school year starts in September.  There's normally a six-week
holiday from late July to the end of August, and a couple of weeks at
Easter and Christmas, plus three "half-term" holidays of a week.

The Easter break used to be at Easter, making the terms different
lengths, but increasingly, we now just get the bank holidays (Good
Friday and Easter Monday) and the 2-week break falls at a regular time
(which may or may not include the dates of Easter).
--
Words must be weighed, not counted.  - Polish proverb