[LMB] School days

Louie Chubb louie at chubb.wattle.id.au
Wed Aug 3 03:53:20 BST 2016

On Tue, Aug 02, 2016 at 02:42:20PM -0600, Howard Brazee wrote:

> > On Aug 2, 2016, at 6:51 AM, Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Gwynne:
> > School starts at the end of January and finishes in mid-December. Makes
> > far more sense - it starts at the beginning of the year, ends just before
> > Christmas.
>
> I don’t know that any date makes more sense than any other date.  The calendar is arbitrary.

Christmas makes sense in a much of Australia because it is so stinking hot. I
suppose a lot of schools have air-conditioning nowadays, but when I was at
school we were in un-airconditioned WWII tin huts in QLD in 35+ degrees C heat.
It was hard to write anything on paper because it was so damp from sweat that
it just fell to bits.

LucyC