[LMB] Email Hack

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Wed Aug 3 13:25:57 BST 2016

On Tue, 2 Aug 2016 19:13:34 -0400, Rachel <anglerfish at gmail.com> wrote:

>> From: Marc Wilson <marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk>
>>

>> On Mon, 1 Aug 2016 13:58:46 -0400, Rachel <anglerfish at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Something is sending out a document from my school email. I think the list
>> >bounced it back, but certainly don't open any weird looking pdfs from me.
>> >am working on re-securing that email account.
>>
>> Is it really coming from your server, or just using your email address?
>> Two very different problems.
>

>I think it was actually coming out of my gmail, which I still have linked
>to my school account. I don't THINK that it was just a copy address because
>it seems to have accessed my contact list. It spammed everyone in my
>contact list with a pdf named after my root email (anglerfish).
>
>I'm guessing my password was compromised and then some bot program tried to
>send out a virus? But what are the chances that there was actually a PERSON
>out there going through my emails and sucking out personal data? I'm less
>bothered by the robot.
>
>I'm considering using a password service. Sigh.

I think you can use 2-factor authentication with GMail, which would stop
any 'bot from accessing it.  The downside is that you need to have your
mobile phone with you every time you want to log in.
--
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did, but she did
it backwards, and in high heels.  - Faith Whittlesey