[LMB] e-arc

Katherine Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Fri Aug 5 23:21:15 BST 2016

On Aug 5, 2016, at 4:23 PM, Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:

> I bought the e-arc for Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen - because I couldn’t wait.   And I got a hardbound copy later.   But I never got the “regular” e-book version.
>
> I do most of my reading on my iPad, and especially want books that I’m reading slowly on my iPad, allowing me to switch to different readers to read different books while I’m waiting for the discussion to advance.   So it’s the e-arc which I’m reading now.
>
> Are there significant differences between the e-arc and later editions?

I recently posted this bit about the only substantive-ish changes I know about:  In this section [in the first chapter] where Cordelia and Oliver first allude to their threesome, Lois made just two changes (I think) from the eARC to the published version.  Which she posted to the list when she was considering the changes, but it might be interesting to look at the changes now -- especially for anyone who is currently reading from the eARC.  The first addition is after Cordelia says "The only surprise was how you two ever got past all your Barrayaran inhibitions in the first place," Lois adds "Not that she and Aral hadn't discussed Oliver in _theory_."  The second is in the second-to-last paragraph of the first chapter; after "Her attempts at Barrayaran-style matchmaking had been extremely hit-or-miss over her lifetime, or she'd be tempted to try to help him somehow." The additional sentence: "There were valid reasons, she recognized ruefully, why Aral might have avoided her aid back when wooing Oliver."

Katherine