[LMB] Four-Wheel Brakes (WAS OT: School days)

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Sat Aug 6 13:18:25 BST 2016

On Fri, 05 Aug 2016 06:33:48 +0100, "James M. BRYANT G4CLF"
<james at jbryant.eu> wrote:

>Marc's car is a sort of mini-Quattro:-
>
> > One of the motoring programmes in the UK did a comparison of a standard
> > car on winter tyres vs a 4wd version on standard tyres; the standard car
> > on winter tyres outbraked it on snow by about 30%.
>
>My car sticks to icy roads like sh*t to a blanket because I have both
>Quattro transmission/braking AND winter tyres. Did they put this
>combination into their test?

No - because the whole point was to point out that 4x4 doesn't change
the laws of physics, as many owners seem to think.  A FOAF who owns a
traction engine makes a nice little supplementary income in snowy
winters, pulling Range Rovers out of snowdrifts and/or ditches.

>James - who takes the other car off the road in November and doesn't put
>it back until April or May (in Britain you can claim a vehicle tax rebate
>for the months it's off the road)

Where I live (South Cheshire) it snows perhaps 2-3 days a year.  Not
worth getting a second set of tyres/wheels.
--
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF