[LMB] How demons work: what happened to the heat energy?

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Tue Aug 9 08:53:31 BST 2016

On Aug 8, 2016, at 7:42 PM, Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:

>> On Aug 8, 2016, at 6:47 PM, Elizabeth Stowe <estowe427 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Matt: There is no distinction between 'magical' and 'physical' laws.  It's all one.
>>
>> es: You're joking. Right?
>
> Why?   Physical laws are those which work with the real world.  If magic was part of the real world, it would be reality.

I believe that magic IS a part of the real world, and that there ARE distinctions between magickal and physical laws, but perhaps not on the same plane.

I am reminded of a heated discussion in the mid-80's, online, on scientific elements vs the Wiccan/Western Occult Tradition (demonstrated quite nicely  in The Fifth Element), and how could anyone could believe in both. To me, it's like acknowledging that additive RBG (not Her Awesomeness) and subtractive CMY each have their usage. For me, it's a mindset shift, no biggie.

I think it lead to argument threads of what magick* workers of whatever stripe call "energy" vs the scientific understanding of it, as well as "scientism" vs can't-recall-now. I couldn't take the acrimony (There's acrimony down in the card room...), and stopped reading after a few days, because I wanted to knock distant heads together, rather like the time at a gathering of college seniors after finals separated themselves into "hard science" and "humanities" clusters. Couldn't have convinced them of their common ground of language, admittedly the mathematical language and the "natural" ones, but still...don't think there were any dancers even acqainted with labanotation.

So in this world here, the word energy means different things, depending on which mindset or worldview you're in. Magick (*as opposed to sleight of hand magic) workers haven't, to my knowledge, any other term for the stuff we work with. I don't think most magick workers believe the mystical and scientific "energies" are the same. One has units of measurement, the other doesn't. Yet.

I have been known to make connections between apparently disparate items/concepts/data that others don't see until I explain the link...

Slice into a loaf of several forms of French breads not baked in pans, the ones where a razor, or "lame" has been drawn down the length of the unbaked loaf. Hold up the slice full on. I see the outline of a cartoonish rabbit: la pain du lapin. BTW, grammar and gramma are homonyms in French as well.

A. Marina Fournier
Saffronrose at me.com