[LMB] Ageing

Beatrice Otter beatrice_otter at haugensgalleri.com
Tue Aug 9 22:50:24 BST 2016

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE smartphone

From: WILLIAM A WENRICH:
It is remarked many times that Barrayans look considerably older than galactics. From the context, this seems to be the result of hard use and lack of medical care and not longevity treatments like Weber's prolong. The "Betan Longevity Treatment" is Miles cover story.
An anti-ageing treatment that retards maturation would have more implications than Weber posits. He talks about the social cost of a 21 year-old navy officer that looks 13. However, there are many physical changes in the late teens. The cerebral cortex is not mature until the late 20s.
I am not happy with the Betan practice of encouraging sexual activity at 14. Do ballerinas even go on pointe at that age?

Beatrice Otter:12 is the usual age to go en pointe.
I am not sure what the line is between "not penalizing" and "encouraging". And I think we've discussed it before without conclusion.  Cordelia, for example, describes it as tying their tubes and letting them work out their own damnation.  Certainly, forbidding sex to teens is ... Not notably successful.
I definitely agree with you about the Honorverse.  Insufficient worldbuilding, consequences not thought through well enough.
Beatrice Otter