[LMB] Liking Opera (WAS OT: what a nice gift....)

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Wed Aug 10 10:39:43 BST 2016

On Tue, 09 Aug 2016 09:39:13 +0100, "James M. BRYANT G4CLF"
<james at jbryant.eu> wrote:

>This has variously been attributed to Mozart, Beethoven,
>Mark Twain and the Duke of Wellington. Does anyone have
>a definitive attribution?
>
>Marc sigged:-
>
> > "I liked your opera- I think I'll set it to music."
>
>James - in panic mode preparing for WorldCon

I've only ever seen it attributed to Beethoven, and our knowledge of
this was from an anecdote told by Berlioz.  It was allegedly said to
Paer, whose opera told the same story that Beethoven used in Fidelio.

There's a discussion here:

http://www.talkclassical.com/30352-but-did-beethoven-really.html
--
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine - NancyButton