[LMB] OT: Mozart vs braggubg...

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Wed Aug 10 10:49:04 BST 2016

On Tue, 9 Aug 2016 10:29:46 -0400, Walter S Bushell <proto at panix.com>
wrote:

>> On Aug 8, 2016, at 19:08, Marc Wilson <marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk> wrote:
>> --
>> "I liked your opera- I think I'll set it to music." - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
>
>From a lesser composer that would have been bragging.

Hmmm.  This was a quote from a file I imported; I hadn't realised it was
attributed to Mozart.  The anecdote I have heard attributes it to
Beethoven (and it's at least vaguely plausible, as he did use the same
story that Paer used as "Leonora" to make his opera "Fidelio".

We'll probably never know if Berlioz just made it up - he was a famous
raconteur.
--
Your question only makes any sense at all if you completely ignore
the point I was making.  You are welcome, of course, to continue