[LMB] Aging

quietann quietann at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 13:44:17 BST 2016

On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 8:15 AM, WILLIAM A WENRICH <wawenri at msn.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure "everyone does it" is truly the way to go.

I don't think Beta is assuming that "everyone does it."  Instead, they are
removing some of the more long-term consequences for those who do.
Cordelia herself was apparently a late bloomer in this regard.

> Miles was 15 and his experience was somewhere between unsatisfactory and
> devastating. (Why didn't Gran Naismith arrange for proper training and one
> or more LPSTs?)

Miles also was, well, lacking impulse control, and dumped into an
environment where sex was easy to find -- not a good combination for
thoughtful decisions.  And it wasn't the sex itself that traumatized him,
but the callous attitude of the girl he did it with, who apparently was
more interested in him as an "unusual physical specimen" than a person.

A Betan boy would have been well-educated regarding sexuality from an early
age. Cordelia alone probably couldn't have counteracted the Barrayaran
ways, nor probably some cruel overheard comments about how Aral and
Cordelia would have to really work hard/pay big to find a girl willing to
marry a "mutie" -- possibly with the promise that she would never actually
have to have sex with him, thanks to technology. So Miles was set up for
disappointment.

> I may have been late but I didn't have intercourse until after high
> school. Of course it was harder to get the dinosaurs to park properly. 😘

Plenty of people didn't.  I didn't. Not always for lack of opportunity, but
simply because -- with the potential consequences that Beta removes -- it
was too risky.

But, the reality is, the gap between puberty and what we (in the "developed
world") consider to be an appropriate age for marriage is years long.  So
expecting everyone to remain "chaste until marriage" just. doesn't.
work.... Not to mention that marriage and sex have become uncoupled along
with babies and sex.

Ann