[LMB] OT: the perils of being the computer/IT person

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Tue Aug 16 06:30:14 BST 2016

Catching up...

On Jul 24, 2016, at 07:10 PM, William A Wenrich <wawenri at msn.com> wrote:

Note: I'm being gender nonspecific. After all, the world's first programmer
was Ada Lovelace and Grace Hopper was one of the field's true pioneers.

If you are the computer/IT person:
1.    You are expected to know everything about every computer,
peripheral, printer, hardware, software, game, operating system, and
telephone in use anywhere in the world over the last fifty years.
2.        You are expected to be able to make anything work with anything. (I
was told that I needed to run software for Windows 95 on a Mac.)
3.      You are expected to be able to drop everything to help get a system
running. (I once drove 225 miles, one way, to reinstall Windows 95 on my
son's computer at college.)
4.    You will be expected to keep everything working forever.

My husband is IT support here at Chez Bejeeber.

5. You are expected to put up with someone who cannot tell you what was happening/what they were doing just before everything went wrong. You cannot walk out on your own mother.

However, I would like to be made to perform the repairs/corrections myself, rather than try to take notes or remember what the in-house IT support who types much faster and with greater knowledge than me has done, the next time you need that same issue fixed.

I learned at Xerox that you had better be able to have been aware of what was happening just before bloowie, and provide the OS and any other software and hardware info to the tech attempting to help you, especially over the phone. I'm very good at that.

Marina