[LMB] Imperfect food

Karen Hunt huntkc at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 11:54:33 BST 2016

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 11:48 PM, Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:

> I was at a pizza place the other day, noticing that the illustrations all
> made sure we knew that the pizzas weren’t perfect circles.   It was a
> subtle reminder that the pizzas were hand-made.
>
> We have seen cooking on Barrayar.   But Barrayar is a special case.   But
> we have seen such things as ugly vases elsewhere.   In an advanced society,
> it should be possible to have “perfect” implementations of recipes and
> designs every time - if that’s what the customers want.
>
> In Star Trek, people claimed to tell the difference between *real* wine
> and replicator wine (preferring the natural wine).   I suspect that in such
> a society, that would be an illusion - unless the real wine was inferior.
>
> What have we seen in the Vorkosiverse outside of Barrayar that shows that
> imperfect creations can be preferred?

Dunno about imperfect, but Cetagandan upper class is really into hand-made
stuff. It's déclassé to use machine-made stuff. On the other side of
things, if Cordelia's comment about buying from machines being better is
anything to go by, the Betans don't care about the human touch.

For Cetagandan food, remember Miles boggling at rice that had been laid out
in an elaborate spiral pattern (probably with no imperfections whatsoever)
by some ba.

Karen Hunt