[LMB] Imperfect food

Brad Jones brad at kazrak.com
Thu Aug 18 15:05:15 BST 2016

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 8:51 PM Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:

> In Star Trek, people claimed to tell the difference between *real* wine
> and replicator wine (preferring the natural wine).   I suspect that in such
> a society, that would be an illusion - unless the real wine was inferior.

The implication I always got wasn't that it was inferior, it was that it
was always exactly the same.  There's one replicator template for each
type, and every time you have a glass of replicator wine, it's identical to
every other glass of replicator wine (of that type) you've ever had.

Manufactured wine varies from bottle to bottle. Even if the replicator wine
is technically superior, its sameness will make the manufactured wine stand
out.

> What have we seen in the Vorkosiverse outside of Barrayar that shows that
> imperfect creations can be preferred?

 I find myself wondering if the haut women will end up in the replicator
wine trap - all so perfect that they're nigh-identical, and it makes
someone less perfect stand out and seem more desirable for variety's sake.