[LMB] Annual Georgette Heyer sale in US OT: now Amazon issues

M R L Dolbear m.dolbear at lineone.net
Thu Aug 18 17:57:51 BST 2016

From: Helen Fenton
Sent: Thursday, August 18, 2016 6:18 AM

>> But my point is I *did* have a choice and if I did while in NZ I am
>> curious as to why you are under the impression that you

> I have been using US Amazon for the past few years. After the Aus Amazon
> site came on they ask and I ignored. I have continue to ignore until two
> weeks ago when I could not purchase a Donna Kauffman book I wanted. I
> tried to change my details back to Amazon Us but I was blocked when I
> could not provide an address in continental us. Have you tried recently?
> Or you may be lucky while there isn't a NZ Amazon site.

My understanding is that anyone can use Amazon.com for ebooks (except where
governments forbid) with their correct location. They accept payment in US
dollars by credit card and the site is English language (also Spanish)

If they have a local Amazon they can use that instead and pay in local
currency (as $AUS) and the site is in local language.  You can shift freely
from one to the other. A US expat in Germany who was paid in US dollars
might well wish to use Amazon.com but would see the same books as if they
used Amazon.de (German language, pay in Euros).

Either way, Amazon is bound by law to only supply books licensed for your
location.

Same for Fictionwise in its last years and Apple / iBook has one virtual
store percountry.

Note and for example that various expats in Spain (say) would like to buy
UK-only books and have developed /methods/ for doing this. This isn't very
ethical.

Little Egret by email (Windows Live Mail)
Michael Dolbear in Walton-on-Thames