[LMB] Piotr and "the mutant."

Elizabeth Holden azurite at rogers.com
Thu Aug 25 14:11:57 BST 2016

On Tue, 8/23/16, Eric Oppen <ravenclaweric at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was reading one of the essays in
> _Lois McMaster Bujold: Essays on a
> Modern Master of Science Fiction and Fantasy_ edited by
> Janet Brennan Croft, and came to one where Piotr's relationship with Miles
> is discussed.

I find that one of the more interesting relationships in the series, and one of the most touching.

On the other hand, I wish we'd had more insight into the relationship between Aral and Piotr. About which, as far as I can see, we have almost nothing. As a big fan of both characters, I feel free to fill in the blanks with my own imagination. Love and frustration and pride going both ways, I think.

> One thing that the author does not bring up is that part of Piotr's
> reasoning for wanting to kill "the mutie" might be "I
> enforced this rule on others; as a Vor and a Count, I cannot exempt myself."

Good point. We don't see Poitr's viewpoint much in this.  We see it from Cordelia's point of view, and Cordelia is (a) protective of her child, (b) against killing the helpless in any situation, and (c) disgusted by Barrayaran ways. But Barrayar has good historical reasons for eradicating muties - a matter of planetary survival - and even though Miles is not a mutie, the horror of further social turmoil (especially in a time of civil war) must be very much in Piotr's mind.  If Miles is percieved as a mutie (and he will be), that makes him a propaganda weapon against Aral.

namaste,
 Elizabeth