[LMB] OT: Mock-death in Shakespeare

John Lennard john.c.lennard at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 16:42:22 BST 2016

And finally, I am also happy to inform the list that the book on mock-death
in Shakespeare's plays, about which I posted an AKICOTL request or two a
while back, is also now out on Kindle, DRM-free. Alternatively, I can
supply PDF's by personal arrangement.

Lois does get a mention, in passing in the intro, in re: Miles's mock-death
(or real death and rebirth) in *Mirror Dance*, as do Horatio Hornblower and
Honor Harrington, but this is 99.9% Shakespeare, and was extremely
interesting to research and write. I always knew mock-death was well
represented in the canon -- it's in 14 plays definitively, with two further
analogues -- and naturally concentrated in comedy ; but I had not realised
how dominant it becomes in the later comedies (*Twelfth Night*, *Measure*,
*All's Well*) and late plays (*Pericles*, *Cymbeline*, *Winter's Tale*,
*Tempest*).

Indeed, in each of the late plays one might say that one axis of the trope
is maximised : iteration in *Pericles*, combination in *Cymbeline*,
duration in *Winter's Tale*, and multiplication in *Tempest* -- the last
being the only late play without 'real' death, but also the late play where
*every* mortal is believed dead by at least one other person.

For those so inclined, enjoy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mock-Death-Shakespeares-Plays-John-Lennard-ebook/dp/B01JSRLAHM/

https://www.amazon.com/Mock-Death-Shakespeares-Plays-John-Lennard-ebook/dp/B01JSRLAHM/

Bye Fellow, Christ's College, & Director of Studies in English, Hughes
Hall, Cambridge
www.humanities-ebooks.co.uk

*Mock-Death in Shakespeare's Plays*
The first full study of Shakespeare's favourite dramatic device

*The Exasperating Case of David Weber, or The Slow Death of The Honorverse*
22 years ago Weber created it and in the last ten he has broken it ...

*Tolkien's Triumph: The Strange History of *The Lord of the Rings
Just how did a 1000-page book with 6 appendices come to sell 8,500 copies
per day?

*Talking Sense About *Fifty Shades of Grey*, or Fanfiction, Feminism, and
BDSM*
The story the media *isn't* telling ...

Available from Kindle Stores, and in PDF from the author.