[LMB] OT: Medicine, past and present

M R Dolbear m.dolbear at lineone.net
Thu Dec 1 20:05:00 GMT 2016

On Thu, 1 Dec 2016, at 19:43, Matthew George wrote:
> No, we already know pretty well which practices will eventually be
> recognized as barbaric - because our refusal to evaluate them NOW is what
> makes them so.
>
> It's tough to be a doctor.  That's no excuse for how badly it's done.

Nothing to do with it being barbaric, but whether it is evidence based.

Thus George Washington was helped into his grave by doctors who had no
evidence for their methods.

But maggots and possibly leeches are in current medical use after
controlled trials.

Little Egret by email (Windows Live Mail)
Michael Dolbear in Walton-on-Thames