[LMB] Read _The World of the Shining Prince_ before _Tales of Genji_

Pat Mathews MATHEWS55 at msn.com
Wed Dec 7 19:33:38 GMT 2016

Reading works written by someone from another time, another place, and another culture, is one of the best mind-expanding experiences one - especially a young person- can have. Do it enough, and pretty soon you (or the kid you used to be) start getting a sense the world is wider than the way we do things at home or in high school.

Which both C.S. Lewis and G.B. Shaw addressed in their own day: Lewis, with an imaginary child of 10 insisting that her family's fish forks (what are those? one might ask, illustrating the point perfectly) are the only proper fish forks to use; Shaw, more bluntly, with "He is a barbarian, Caesar, and thinks the customs of his tribe are universal law." The culture shock at Lewis' example is actually priceless .... especially to a kid who eats fish stick with his hands!

Pat, grinning and wishing you a lot of fun reading, as I put those books on my own To Read list.

And back on topic, yes, what a lovely resource for Bujold Fans wanting a better handle on Cetaganda!