[LMB] When no womb is needed

Agnes Charrel-Berthillier agnes at charrel.net
Wed Dec 7 22:11:44 GMT 2016

On 12/6/16 8:09 PM, Howard Brazee wrote:

> This article is about C-sections, but obviously can go further in the Vorksiverse, not counting Athos:
>
> http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/csections-might-be-altering-human-evolution/

This is very shoddy "science".

The rise of c-sections has more to do with changing medical practices
(induction drugs, safer anesthesia and surgeries, better preemie
care...) and fear of malpractice suits ("you never get sued for the
c-section you didn't do") shifting risk assessments than with changing
pelvic widths.

An re. pelvic widths... I read something written by a crusty old OB in
the 70s (in the US) saying that best practice when he started to
practice in the late 20s/early 30s included X-raying pregnant women and
sectioning those whose pelvis seemed too narrow compared to the fetus's
skull. But that he hadn't actually seen any too narrow pelvis once
rickets was brought under control in the generation currently giving
birth (after WWII?).

Agnes