[LMB] Religion on Barrayar, was Kosher

Katherine Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Wed Dec 7 23:55:05 GMT 2016

On Dec 6, 2016, at 10:40 AM, Ursula <uleubner at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I don't think you would need a lot of people following a religion in order to send a bishop.  If they care to send clergy, then they will find clergy who also have skills to qualify them to participate in the mission.  And it would be sensible to have such clergy able to create new clergy, so if one died, a replacement could be made.  Perhaps not the best trained, but with the right *theological* qualifications.  It might just be a few dozen faithful in the crowd, but they would make sure they had what they needed for their religious practice.
> It will not be "official secular organizers of the mission want a bishop" it will be "people going on the mission want a bishop, and get one qualified to be sent, one way or the other."

Yes, same as the terraformers (or soil conditioners).  You have the people who want to go settle a new planet; they train for the jobs that need doing.  The people who are going _become_ the terraformers, the bishops, and all the other necessary personnel in between.

We see a glimpse of that end of the colonizing process in Heinlein's Tunnel in the Sky -- the bit at the very end as the colonization party leaves for a new planet.

Katherine