[LMB] Bishops on Barrayar, was: Kosher

Luke Bretscher rocketman0739 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 05:51:37 GMT 2016

On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 10:55 PM, M. Haller Yamada <thefabmadamem at yahoo.com>
wrote:
> I think the Church is
> going to want to control who they promote/consecrate. They won't promote,
willy-
> nilly, the best guy of their religion going on a crazy mission of
first-wavers
> to build up some distant planet, will they?
​​ What if he comes home and wants his
> bishop rights?​

​What? Whyever not? That's like saying, "A merchant company ​won't
willy-nilly promote their best guy to be captain of their crazy trading
voyage."

First, they're not sending the Patriarch of Jerusalem or whatever, so it's
not their "best guy." It's some priest, already on the mission, whom they
think would do a good job as bishop.

Second, it costs nothing to look at a group of your people setting out and
designate the most trusted to be their leader.

Third, the people who are going on the trip obviously don't think it's
crazy.

Fourth, "coming home and wanting bishop rights" doesn't make any sense. If
they make some colonist the Bishop of Barrayar, he has spiritual authority
on Barrayar—that's it. The only "bishop rights" he'd have at home would be
to wear a special cape and be addressed as Your Grace.

> If missionaries aren't sent in until things are settled and stable (as
Beatrice
> points out, which I do disagree with to some extent but don't know enough
about
> the whole thing -- nuns seem to get murdered on a regular basis, but that
may be
> my filters making it seem so), wouldn't that go doubly-so with bishops?

​I think you're drastically underestimating the willingness of priests (and
bishops) to get down and dirty in very tough areas.

What's more, sending off a bunch of the faithful far away without a bishop
for spiritual leadership is rather like ordering an army to make a large
advance without any officers above the rank of lieutenant. Or like
directing a large company to make some significant change in their mode of
operating, but with no leadership except some middle managers.

Luke