[LMB] Bishops, new world applications to Barrayar

Walter Bushell proto at panix.com
Sat Dec 10 15:02:42 GMT 2016

> On Dec 10, 2016, at 8:35 AM, Karen Hunt <huntkc at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> So how do I read this?
> 1. We have a society that does a lot of religious instruction, apparently
> at least some via catechism teaching. So there's a pretty robust religious
> education system going on.
>
> 2. We have a person with a monk-like title doing expand-the-livable-spaces
> work and people who take vows of chastity in communes (and people who run
> off to the Outlands). The monastery aspect is pretty visible, even if not
> everybody is being monastic.
>
> 3. There are classic hymns, with organized musical groups dedicated to
> playing them. (Brethren musicians)
>
> 4. There's a distinctive Catholic flavor to all of this, though I doubt the
> founders were particularly likely to be Catholic.
>
> I'd say that the religious figures and organized religious services must
> exist, because somebody is in charge of all that education and music
> (defining what's a hymn versus what's a popular religious song versus...
> not a religious song).
>
> Karen Hunt

Thanks, I remember those things after being reminded. ;)

How that attitude is passed is unspecified. Probably during school along with
the other training probably not separated from the other material, like consumerism
in the “Dick and Jane" readers.

Heretical Catholics? Eastern Orthodox background. IIUC a EO priest cannot marry, but
being married is no bar to becoming a priest, but a married priest cannot become a bishop.
And so it’s not uncommon for a man to marry and be ordained as a priest on the same day.

Athos is a Greek Orthodox institution. Hmm.