[LMB] Dick & Jane resurface ...

Harvey Fishman fishman at panix.com
Tue Dec 13 00:53:48 GMT 2016

------ Original Message ------
From: "Howard Brazee" <howard at brazee.net>
To: "Discussion of the works of Lois McMaster Bujold."
<lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk>
Cc: fishman at panix.com
Sent: 12/12/2016 06:28:41 PM
Subject: Re: [LMB] Dick & Jane resurface ...

>>  On Dec 12, 2016, at 10:51 AM, Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org> wrote:
>>
>>  I remember Dick and Jane. See Dick. See Dick run. Run Dick, Run.
>>
>>  Heh.
>>
>>  But I wasn't bored with those because it seems like it was straight
>>from
>>  those to the abridged Treasure Island and 20,000 Leagues Under The
>>Sea.
>>  Those were great adventure stories and the abridged versions were
>>just
>>  the right length. Then I don't remember too much until Rocket Ship
>>  Galileo and then I was off to read the entire library science fiction
>>  section.
>>
>>  Anyway I don't see much wrong starting with very simple reading
>>material
>>  like Dick and Jane as long as it keeps getting better. Once the kids
>>  know the words keep advancing the stories.
>
>Agreed.  They didn’t last long, and kids learning to read at all is fun
>- then we learned to read real books.
>
>Some people learn to read by recognizing words, others by sounding out
>letters.   We do both now, as we recognize words that aren’t pronounced
>phonetically, and we figure out how to pronounce words that are.

I also predate Dick & Jane. I also predate television. I never saw a
television set until I was 11 and then it was a neighbor's. My family
did not get a television set until I was 15. So I read. My reading
tastes were catholic - anything and everything. In school I got _The New
York Times_ each morning for $0.10 per week and I would devour it every
day. And then my father brought home _The New York Sun_ each evening -
more grist for the mill. (Strange that an evening newspaper would be
called _The Sun_, but that was the case.) And I wound up at the library
at least twice a week. As to schoolbooks, I finished them off within a
week and was the despair of my teachers for this as I  was bored for the
rest of the term. Ahh, that I could still read one tenth as quickly as I
could when young.

Harvey