[LMB] Worldview (1) Cooking tools OT: unless Ma Kosti gets into the act

Katherine Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Tue Dec 13 03:27:28 GMT 2016

On Dec 12, 2016, at 10:04 PM, M. Haller Yamada <thefabmadamem at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I tend to grab the wooden spoon or fork, too, for exactly the same reasons: I
> don't want to clean up the beaters and drag out the mixer. I think my breaking
> point is about the five minute mark. If it takes more than five minutes of
> whipping or kneading, I break out the machinery. So, whipping cream into
> whipped cream is on the borderline -- some days I do it by hand, some days I
> pull out the mixer. (-: Depends on how many spoons I have left. And by that, I
> mean energy spoons.

Our KitchenAid mixer lives out on the counter so that we don't have to factor in the dragging-out (also, it's pretty heavy and would be a pain to have to lift from anywhere).  We use it a lot.  The beaters are flat and easy to wash (probably easier than a wooden spoon), so that's not a factor.

Also, it has a meat-grinding attachment, which really works well.  We used it at Thanksgiving, not for meat but for the cranberry-orange relish, which is best put through a grinder (equal parts organic (because you eat the peel) oranges, cranberries, and raisins, add sugar to taste).

Katherine