[LMB] Fat shaming, slut-shaming, and special snowflakes

Douglas Weinfield douglasw at his.com
Tue Dec 13 03:30:34 GMT 2016

IMHO, there's a tension here.

On the one hand, there are people who make excuses (for themselves, their kids) when, IMHO, they or their kids aren't that different from anyone else.

On the other hand, I feel a pity and some disgust for someone who tries to shame another person for their (no harm to another person) sexual practices, or for the other person's body shape? What kind of a person hurts others for pleasure, or even through indifference?

Beyond that, in a perfect world, sure, the person being shamed would let it roll off their back. But back here in the real world, if Person A engages in offensive behavior towards Person B, and B feels they are being shamed by A's behavior, my sympathies are with A. Snowflake-ness doesn't even enter into it. I might wish B had a tougher skin, but I don't know what kind of life they've lived, or what kind of burdens they've had to overcome.

I rather imagine Lady Alys would not tolerate any kind of shaming.