[LMB] OT: oh, the humanity! or USS Making S*** Up

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Wed Dec 14 14:17:17 GMT 2016

On Wed, 14 Dec 2016 03:31:06 +0000, Gwynne Powell
<gwynnepowell at hotmail.com> wrote:

>From: Sylvia McIvers <sylviamcivers at gmail.com>
>
>obBujold:  It's not enough to make music, you have to have a marching band.
>No, you have to have a dance troupe that incorporates drums and cymbals.
>BECAUSE WE CAN.
>
>Gwynne: Yep, that's our species.
>
>C S Lewis got it right, too:
>(From memory, excuse if it's slightly wrong) from Magician's Nephew:
>'Here's the choice, adventurous stranger,
>Strike the bell and bide the danger,
>Or wonder, till it drives you mad
>What would have happened if you had.'
>
>And, of course, we strike the bell. Naturally.

Some of us do.  We also need bell-avoiders, as reserve breeding stock to
repopulate the group of bell-strikers on the occasion that the bell
turns out to be booby-trapped.

Or to look at it another way: "We can't all be heroes, someone needs to
sit on the kerb and clap as they go by."
--
"Too many pieces of music finish too long after the end."  - Igor Stravinsky