[LMB] OT: oh, the humanity! or USS Making S*** Up

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Fri Dec 16 13:16:05 GMT 2016

On Thu, 15 Dec 2016 15:43:20 -0500, Sylvia McIvers
<sylviamcivers at gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 6:48 PM, Marc Wilson <marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk> wrote:
>

>> >Or, impulses might be there to impress the girls.
>>
>> That's a sort of proxy for "survival value".
>>
>> >Such seems to be the case in springboks - scientists once thought their
>> >jumping & pronking behavior was to warn the herd of danger, but that
>> theory
>> >was replace/expanded to say pronking by young males impresses the
>> >girls....  made me laugh.
>> >
>> >Sylvia
>>

>Hm, I thought 'survival' was more like 'not getting eaten today.'

You're thinking retail; evolution is wholesale.  It's a numbers game.
The friskier springboks are the ones with the best chance to evade a
predator.  The females who find this characteristic attractive are
marginally more likely to have offspring who live to produce their own
offspring... the rest is just the inexorable workings of probability.

It's a bit like compound interest: small changes, many iterations, big
result.
--
A:top posting
Q:What's the most irritating thing in Usenet? - Aahz