[LMB] Fat shaming, slut-shaming, and special snowflakes

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Sat Dec 17 08:51:50 GMT 2016

On Dec 16, 2016, at 9:40 AM, Elly Jeurissen <ellyjeur at gmail.com> wrote:
> And part of of that is that the medical personnel are not quite willing to touch them. I did read this in some sort of research article in the last 10-15 years, but I cannot recall the reference thereof. I do know that I have had doctors in the past
> who would have been happy to send me home with a diet sheet, whatever the
> complaint I came in with.

My sister said that (at least female employees at San Diego Kaiser offices) complaints of carpal tunnel syndrome and repetitive stress injuries were very often dismissed as the patient being too heavy--even the scrawniest ones!

For years before her bariatric surgery, my sister's complaints about pains where her gall bladder was encountered only remarks about her weight and either imagining pain, or mistaking its location--which is why when the did the surgery, her gall bladder was bulging with stones.

I've had insomnia, migraines, and even depression dismissed as due to my weight--even at 125 lbs. I fire such doctors, but one I told off for sending me to a nutritionist way before any indication of diabetes instead of really looking at the problem.

My low thyroid output doesn't seem to have any effect on weight or body temperature, but getting any medic to accept that a TSH of 4 was in no way normal for my body was futile. Thank goodness my endo understands that and I am kept close to a 1.0 than not.

A. Marina Fournier
Saffronrose at me.com