[LMB] Penric's Mission (pronunciation)

Matthew George matt.msg at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 19:56:10 GMT 2016

On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 8:39 PM, Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>
wrote:

> I don't think you can figure out that particular word if you don't
> know english AND don't recognize that it is not one word, but two,
> each pronounced its own way, one with a long i, one with a short i.
> at least by us Americans.

Ah, but that isn't a long i.  Although people are commonly told that in
school.  Depending on which type of theory you prefer, it's either a
diphthong (two vowel sounds combined in a single syllable) or a
vowel-semivowel combination (aj).

Actual long i sounds are those sometimes represented as ee.  Short:  sit.
Long:  seat.  Diphthong:  site.

Matt "it's worse than evil, it's inefficient" G.