[LMB] GJ&RQ - Cetagandan thoughts

Karen Hunt huntkc at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 01:33:09 GMT 2016

On Sun, Dec 18, 2016 at 8:05 PM, Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> From: Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net>
>
> > On Dec 18, 2016, at 7:05 AM, Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Interruption - Ghem Soren wants to beg for asylum. A bit unexpected.
> > The consul isn't happy with the fuss about the garden. Interesting -
> > in the good old days it would have been useful political ammunition
> > against the Barrayarans, to embarrass them or force some
> > consessions, but now it's just a nuisance disturbing good relations.
> > Yes, times have changed. A lot.
>
> Howard:
> I love that observation.
>
> Gwynne:
> It's interesting to see how things have changed.
>
> The admiral's aide is dating a member of the Cetagandan consul's staff.
> With the admiral's approval and dating advice.
>
> The consul's son goes to school with the general's daughter, and children
> of other high-ranking officers and officials.
>
> There's still hostility under the surface - from drunken louts. (Mind you,
> a perfumed sensory garden of ANY nationality would probably have been
> a bit of a target for the hyped-up drunken football louts.)

Don't forget the local security folk who conveniently looked the other way
as the louts began their trouble-making. And the fact that the
ball/Cetagandan-head was decorated in his colors.

I suspect Cordelia or someone ought to have put the kibosh on that bit of
decoration....

Indeed they don't love each other, but the likelihood of someone pulling
out a gun of any sort to shoot another someone (ala Brothers in Arms) seems
pretty low.

> The Cetagandan response to the attack on the sensory garden isn't an
> outraged protest and political point-scoring, it's to send the consul's
> aide
> home and business as usual.
>
> Cetaganda and Barrayar aren't besties, and probably never will be, but
> both empires are far more interested in business as usual than in
> gearing up for warfare. They'll snipe at each other a bit at a dinner
> party,
> but they really don't want anything serious to happen.
>
> Things have changed a lot from the beginning of the saga.

And of course, one quietly wonders what will happen in about 100 - 300
years if/when the haut decide they've become whatever it is they're trying
to become (or at least have gotten close enough) and so now it's time to
spread through the galaxy.

Karen Hunt