[LMB] Penric's Mission (pronunciation)

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Mon Dec 19 01:37:37 GMT 2016

On Sun, 18 Dec 2016 15:53:57 -0500, Matthew George <matt.msg at gmail.com>
wrote:

>Nee-keh, if I understand the IPA correctly.
>
>Are we going by ancient Greek or modern pronunciations?  There are some
>surprising differences, especially as ancient Greek both possessed and
>lacked sounds modern Greek takes for granted.

And Wikipedia notes that (a) the AG pronunciation they use is only for
Attic Greek, and (b) it's suspected that Nike has a pre-Greek origin.

So it's quite possible that we will never know for sure.
--
If you want to observe status-obsessed people who are exquisitely sensitive to slights,
don't read an Edith Wharton novel, visit San Quentin.       - Mark Caldwell