[LMB] GJ&RQ - Cetagandan thoughts

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 19 02:52:35 GMT 2016

From: Karen Hunt <huntkc at gmail.com>

Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com> wrote:
> There's still hostility under the surface - from drunken louts. (Mind you,
> a perfumed sensory garden of ANY nationality would probably have been
> a bit of a target for the hyped-up drunken football louts.)

Karen:
Don't forget the local security folk who conveniently looked the other way
as the louts began their trouble-making. And the fact that the
ball/Cetagandan-head was decorated in his colors.
I suspect Cordelia or someone ought to have put the kibosh on that bit of
decoration....
Indeed they don't love each other, but the likelihood of someone pulling
out a gun of any sort to shoot another someone (ala Brothers in Arms) seems
pretty low.

Gwynne:
> Cetaganda and Barrayar aren't besties, and probably never will be, but
> both empires are far more interested in business as usual than in
> gearing up for warfare. They'll snipe at each other a bit at a dinner
> party, but they really don't want anything serious to happen.
> Things have changed a lot from the beginning of the saga.

Karen:
And of course, one quietly wonders what will happen in about 100 - 300
years if/when the haut decide they've become whatever it is they're trying
to become (or at least have gotten close enough) and so now it's time to
spread through the galaxy.

Gwynne:
I don't know about that - I think that one day the Ghem will wake up and
find the Haut are gone. The Haut use the Ghem and the workers as their
support system. Maybe one day they'll have evolved to pure spirit, or
to have no worldly needs, and I think at that point they'll just go. They
won't feel any responsibility for the empire, they'll be beyond all those
worldly concerns.

Not sure what the Ghem will do at that point, but I expect the Ceta empire
will disintegrate and become a lot of separate independent planets, with the
conquered worlds mostly grabbing freedom again.