[LMB] OT: Worldview (1)

Sylvia McIvers sylviamcivers at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 15:53:47 GMT 2016

On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 3:16 AM, A. Marina Fournier <saffronrose at me.com>
wrote:

> On Dec 19, 2016, at 04:57 AM, Rachel <anglerfish at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> From: WILLIAM A WENRICH
>
> I was scared because men had been fired for accidentally touching a woman.
>>>

> Rachel:
> If this is true, you work in a place that is CRAZY. That situation actually
> seems so crazy to me that I would wonder if someone were lying, or not
> telling the whole truth. If the woman's version of the story was "he
> accidentally touched me", then your workplace is ridiculous.
>
> For a *single* offence of an *accidental, non-intimate* touch?

I was going to write a screed about 'it wasn't just once, whatever the guy
said' but it was covered nicely by others.  I don't want to dog-pile.

So, instead I will address William Weinrich's fear of being fired for
accidental touch.  It is a valid fear. It is a result of the times we live
in. However, women also live in the times we live in.  Than includes fear
of being groped at work without HR doing anyting about it, or worse, siding
with the groper who is 'such a nice guy who does a lot of good for the
company'.

I cannot say that one fear is worse than the other.  I will say that fear
of being fired for groping makes the workplace slightly safer for those who
fear being groped.  Unless backlash makes things worse. Social science,
what fun.

One day, some fifty to five hundred years from now, this will not be an
issue. Today, it is.

Sylvia