[LMB] OT: Worldview (1)

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Tue Dec 27 20:17:09 GMT 2016

On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 14:08:28 -0500, Matthew George <matt.msg at gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, Dec 23, 2016 at 8:10 AM, Marc Wilson <marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I have a friend who is very clever, in most areas.  But he has a blind
>> spot about his privilege - so he assumes that anyone who's not done as
>> well as him must be lazy.  He's a straight, healthy, white, Western
>> male, for starters, so that's already the lowest-difficulty game
>> setting.
>

>Do you think that life is like that old Eddie Murphy SNL skit, "White Like
>Me"?  What burdens do you think non-white people actually have?

In the UK, for instance, black men are 4x more likely to be stopped by
police, twice as likely to be jailed if tried, and typically receive
significantly longer sentences if jailed.

We don't have the problems some places have of them being shot in large
numbers, but they certainly get disproportionate attention from police,
and are more vigorously punished when they do come into conflict.

But in a sense, that's the cherry on the cake.

People with names that are perceived as "ethnic" are less likely to be
offered an interview when they make job applications.

They are likely to be significantly less wealthy (and in fairness, a lot
of their other issues are tied up with being poor, to an extent that
it's not always easy to unpick the causal relationships), with a result
that they generally have access to worse schools, worse housing, poorer
food etc, poorer facilities (medical, transport, leisure and so on).

The BestBeloved works in HR for a large financial institution- for
reasons related to the above, all job applications are processed
"blind", with all age, gender and origin information removed.  Only when
this "paper-sift" is complete are candidates selected for interview.
--
Why can't somebody give us a list of things that everybody
thinks and nobody says, and another list of things that