[LMB] OT: Phryne Fisher

Aruvqan aruvqan at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 00:48:08 GMT 2016

My mom's family farm in Iowa was never in danger, *cough* amish *cough*
Opa ploughed with a horse team - self replicating, mostly self repairing
and fed on 'organics' with little need of petroleum =) They raised cows,
chickens and kept sheep for the wool [they also sold off lambs as well
as eating them,] and pigs. They raised hay, grain and had an orchard as
well as the more usual vegetables. For the most part they could pretty
much ignore the whole depression - they traded eggs, cheese and honey to
the grocer in town for anything they didn't raise, and paid taxes 'in
kind' [goods rather than money, though there was a minor income from
some sort of disability my Opa got from being gassed in WW1. He got hell
for not being a conchie in the community though - probably why my mom
rumspringa'd off to work in an aircraft factory. My uncles were waivered
as farm labor and didn't join up.] My dad's family on the other hand,
while also owning the factory buildings outright, the assorted homes
outright also lost oodles of money because they supported the employees
out of the 'family fortunes' - not a single factory actually closed, nor
fired workers despite almost no sales for almost 10 years - the
production went down to minimal levels so it was effectively like being
on unemployment $$wise, and the fabric produced was both stockpiled and
doled out to employees for personal use - though he did recoup a *lot*
of money because he had instant product waiting for the bump in
production when the US started needing to supply Britain and the USSR
and then when we finally jumped into the war after Pearl Harbor.

<shrug> As is normally not noted in US history classes, yes the
Depression was horrible, and effected the world, it was not due to the
dust bowl, nor the stock market crash, or the failure of independent
local banks - it was *all* of the above - though the farmers were among
the hardest hit because first the farmers bought equippment with a
mortgage, *then* the crops failed and they lost the farms because they
couldn't pay the mortgages, and the failure to repay and the inability
to auction the foreclosed properties caused the banks that loaned the
money out to fail. The people who owned their property and were prepared
to reduce their lifestyles to minimal managed to muddle along.

Rob and I managed for 13 years on an enlisted income in one of the most
expensive states in the country because we didn't buy into the whole
'take a mortgage out for $300 000' thing, we got one for what his
BEQ/VHA allowance was [bachelor enlisted quartering/variable housing
adjustment allowance] and kept hens for the eggs [minimal grain over the
winter and self foraging with minimal grain in the summer, I think it
ended up being half what the running cost of eggs from a grocery was.] I
also have food allergies that preclude convenience and most junk foods
[well also the diabetes helped that] and cooking from scratch tends to
be less expensive than buying premade and convenience foods. I have a
black thumb so gardening isn't my thing, but in a pinch in either
Connecticut at the farm or here in western NY at my mom's house where
there is space for a decent sized garden we could raise enough to help
modify the cost of living, especially since I also know how to can food
=) [and theoretically 1 acre of potatoes produces something like 1 ton
of potatoes, which is enough to feed a family of 4 for the year, just
really boring! at the farm we could easily do a quarter acre of combined
potatoes and cabbage, and half an acre of fruit and nut trees without
hitting bedrock and be moderately self sufficient with food - just as I
pointed out really bored with the diet.]

On 12/29/2016 6:49 PM, Jane Starr wrote:
> Kevin Kennedy Writes:
>
>> Someone recently wondered how much longer the Phryne Fisher series
>> would go on, with it's timeline coming closer to Oct.1929.

---