[LMB] What guest-gift would you bring if transported to the, 5GW?

Baur baur at chello.at
Fri Dec 30 07:06:36 GMT 2016

Am 30.12.2016 um 04:57 schrieb Eric Oppen:
> Since I already know how to make gunpowder, I'd bring a good handbook with
> instructions on how to correctly distill brandy,and a set of the _Foxfire_
> books.  _Where There Is No Doctor_ and _Where There Is No Dentist,_ as
> well, and instructions on how to make a Looewenhook (sp?) microscope.  (I
> already know about germ theory and why to boil water and dispose carefully
> of night soil)

good that we both think along same lines - these books should go along
well with my older edition ency brit and the anatomical atlas

> In honor of the occasion, I'd take a new name.  Either "Eric Padway" or
> "Lord Eric of Otherwhen."

8) - i like the second one morwe - remember how padway the elder ended out

> Seriously, while I am capable of nostalgia for the past, I draw the line at
> pestilences and bad sanitation.

yes - its nice for a holiday, but living there lacks some charms ..

servus

markus

> On Thu, Dec 29, 2016 at 9:00 PM, B. Ross Ashley <brashley46 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 30 Dec 2016 01:03:33 +0000, Gwynne Powell<gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
>>>
>> wrote, inter alia:
>>
>>> From: Marc Wilson<marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk>
>>>

>> Snips....
>>>

>> There are not many songs that have no cultural referents.
>>>>

>> Gwynne: Why would it need to be translated? Some songs are so
>>> beautiful, just the sound of the voices and the music is perfect, the
>>> actual words are a bonus, and in some cases aren't all that necessary -
>>> how many people know the words of the Hallelujah Chorus? Or of
>>> most opera? Imagine Nessun Dorma in the temple at Cardegoss.
>>>

>> As a member of Common Thread Chorus, here in Toronto, I have sung in
>> eleven or so languages not English, most of which I have no chance in Heck
>> of speaking. A beautiful song like "El Mambi" or even "Ovdovjala Lisickata"
>> is its own justification, for the singer as well as the audience.
>>
>> --
>> Ross in TO, whose latest vocal model aspired to is Bryn Terfel
>> --

Email from my mobile connection.