[LMB] OT: What guest-gift would you bring if transported to the 5GW?

Baur baur at chello.at
Fri Dec 30 18:03:09 GMT 2016

Am 30.12.2016 um 18:25 schrieb Aruvqan:
> I have issues [complete with tshirts and a fancy lip shaped desk phone]
> with most writer's interpretations of gearing down to gear up again.
>

> Let me use the Belisarius series as an example, I just finished
> rereading it a month or so ago. As a short upshot, General Belisarius
> and the Malwa Empire in India both end up getting 'visitors' from the
> serious distant future, both are trying to manipulate the past to create
> a future in line with what they each want. They can each explain and
> show parts of the future, sort of like an interactive AI encyclopedia.
> So far, so good.
>
> My absolute main problem [and this is using the viewpoint of Belisarius
> and the Byzantine Roman Empire as the good guys, so it is going to be
> portraying the tech available to the Holy Roman Empire of the time]
>
> Belisarius' main 'engineer' complains about the trouble of boring out a
> barrel which is why they are welding rods together to make rifle and
> pistol barrels. Um, scuse me? They had lathes, and if you give me a foot
> treadle or springing sapling powered lathe, I can bootstrap my way up
> through softer metals into harder metals - how the frell do you think
> they did it the first time through history? I can use stone on bronze
> [basalt chisel, anybody? Even jadeite.] Then I can cast steel gearing
> and use it to manipulate cast iron, and work my way up to steel, then I
> can muck around with steel

i have had long discussions about this with lots of interested (and
interesting people)

upscaling is not not that easy .. even if you know the basics ..

lets take a relatively simple case - roman era iron making (bloomery
with hammering) to 1800 style steel making (blast furnace and puddling)
or 1900 style (blast furnace to bessemer or SM furnace)

there is a large number innovations that you need to get to work
together at the same time .. the main problematic areas are coke, the
forced blast blowers and the refractory materials - getting these to
work will take lots of work and will not be fast - and once you have
them inp lace you need to develop the skills to actually use then as
finished system ..

servus

markus

  and the 'oligochemistry' [to give ceramic

--
Email from my mobile connection.