[LMB] OT: What guest-gift would you bring if transported to the 5GW?

Aruvqan aruvqan at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 18:16:22 GMT 2016

True, however Aide knows the best shallow mining locations for the
appropriate coal and minerals, the ways one extracts, and building a
bessemer factory oddly enough isn't difficult, the trick was discovering
the process. Blowers are easy [blade turbines don't have to be more than
a cast wheel for pushing air, and rotating is a matter of gears and
gearing, which do need to be made out of something a bit better than
plain cast iron, though a basic steel would work for the early smaller
scale versions.] Refractory materials - the alumina and silica tend to
be mined rather than 'cooked' in a lab for the earlier versions - fire
brick isn't rocket science, we have had firebrick since the 600s - made
with mined rather than lab created materia. [I actually have a stack of
firebrick for an oven building project - much coarser than the firebrick
material shelves for my kiln.] Though thinking about it, a Dragon kiln
can generate some impressive temperatures over a fair period of time.
And I might point out that fire clay is generally found as the
underlayment for coal, the best source of shallow mine coal being the
British Islands ....*cough*

I *need* to get back to my farm, I miss my clay bank =( I hate the idea
of spending perfectly good money for mud I can mine for free at home.

On 12/30/2016 1:03 PM, Baur wrote:

> Am 30.12.2016 um 18:25 schrieb Aruvqan:
>> I have issues [complete with tshirts and a fancy lip shaped desk phone]
>> with most writer's interpretations of gearing down to gear up again.
>>

> i have had long discussions about this with lots of interested (and
> interesting people)
>
> upscaling is not not that easy .. even if you know the basics ..
>
> lets take a relatively simple case - roman era iron making (bloomery
> with hammering) to 1800 style steel making (blast furnace and
> puddling) or 1900 style (blast furnace to bessemer or SM furnace)
>
> there is a large number innovations that you need to get to work
> together at the same time .. the main problematic areas are coke, the
> forced blast blowers and the refractory materials - getting these to
> work will take lots of work and will not be fast - and once you have
> them inp lace you need to develop the skills to actually use then as
> finished system ..

---