[LMB] Penric 4: Penric's Women

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Tue Feb 2 07:48:34 GMT 2016

On Feb 01, 2016, at 06:07 PM, Katherine Collett <kcollett at hamilton.edu> wrote:

We also gradually learn (though I don't remember if we've had any of the clues by now) that Penric reads. He likes reading. He wanted to go to college. How much of his courtesy AND theology could have come from his reading? I mean, being kind to the old woman you meet on your journey is one of those basics you learn from fairy tales.

However, in balladry, kindness to an old woman met on the road--or at the ford--isn't always the case, although it should have been, by the time you get to the end of the song.

Marina