[LMB] Colonizing

Damien Sullivan phoenix at mindstalk.net
Sun Feb 7 15:33:01 GMT 2016

On Sun, Feb 07, 2016 at 08:36:28PM +1100, Gwynne Powell wrote:

> Some of the Nexus settlers could have been attracted by the
> opportunities for trade, and other job opportunities - Sergyar
> needs teachers, medics of all descriptions, mechanics, builders,
> (they really need builders), technicians. There's universities to

Sergyar wants those things, but how is it paying for them?  Exports?
The right to future income streams?  The Imperium pouring Barrayaran and
Komarran money in?

For the future US, exports were a thing from the beginning: furs from
the north, tobacco from the south.  Plus the lure of 'free' land to
attract people selling themselves as limited-term slaves (indentures);
it being an agrarian society, free or cheap land was attractive.

Also, until the 1800s, I think a majority of American 'immigrants' were
African slaves, so not given a choice in the matter, with the cost of
obtaining them mostly paid by tobacco, and maybe sugar and cotton as
well.

For Australia, obviously a lot of the early migrants weren't given a
free choice, and had to make do with what they found there; gold
attracted people at some point, and cheap land was still attractive.

Nowadays we abandon cheap land, unless it can be connected to urban
infrastructure.

Sergyar?  It's not at a trade junction (which takes 3+ useful
wormholes), it's just a rest stop between Escobar and Komarr, and it's
only a day out from Escobar at that.  It is a closer 'border post' than
Komarr would be, FWIW.  Known exports: none, apart from cheap land.

-xx- Damien X-)