[LMB] So much classic SF...

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Mon Feb 8 02:19:33 GMT 2016

On Sun, Feb 07, 2016 at 08:35:47PM -0500, Rachel wrote:
> My grandfather, who was my gateway into Bujold, passed away last week after
> 98 years of voracious reading (I'm pretty sure he was reading SF minutes
> after he was born). I feel like I barely knew him, although I probably knew
> him better than many. He was a very quiet man. During the time when he was
> living in England, I remember him flying over to visit us in Canada with
> two empty briefcases which he would fill with SciFi books from our used
> book stores because at the time the selection in England was not as
> abundant.
>
> I've just unpacked some boxes of books and I seem to have inherited the
> complete works of Robert Heilein, Poul Anderson, Gordon Dixon, Larry Niven,
> Arthur C. Clarke and A. E. van Vogt, along with a scattering of other
> things.
>
> I've read Stranger in a Strange Land and Starship Troopers, but that's
> about it.
>
> Does anyone have recommendations? Where do I begin?

in addition to all the other recommendations, I have to say that I like
early-to-mid Heinlein better than late Heinlein. Someone once said that
in the absence of a strong-willed editor, he tended to "sprawl", and to
me, most of his late work suffers badly from that. Having said that,
things like Friday, Time enough for Love, and others do have some
interesting parts. Pre-sprawl (mostly) I've always liked Starship
Troopers (didin't see the movie, the trailers looked awful). As I was
a kid when I first read most of his "boy's books" as he is said to
have called them, my memory of them may be skewed, but I did really
enjoyed them at the time. Also, he did some good short stories too, the
one that mainly comes to mind is "all you zombies", for in case you
like convoluted time-travel stories (David Gerrold wrote a much longer
one, but I don't think it's any more twisty).

Fred

                         While we were still sinners,
                              Christ died for us.