[LMB] Penric's Demon

Tony Zbaraschuk tonyz at eskimo.com
Fri Feb 12 03:20:17 GMT 2016

On Tue, Feb 02, 2016 at 09:18:44PM +1100, Gwynne Powell wrote:

> Just wondering about the nature of the demon.
>
> Are all those different characters parts of their souls? Or are
> they just memories copied by the demon?

Certainly the impression we got from Ista in _Paladin of Souls_
(and aided by god-granted vision) was that demons _fed_ on their
mounts, taking pieces out of them over time.  (Hence some of
the urgency to get them sent back to their Master.)  But we
hear about Foix's demon, and apparently other Temple sorcerors
can manage (at least for a while) that same sort of balance.
It's rare, but not unheard of -- so maybe Desdemona is the
uncommon end of the bell curve when it comes to demons.

> It certainly presents
> them all as separate people, switching from one to another
> depending on skills. But Ruchia's funeral rites show that she was
> taken by her god.

It's not yet clear to what extent Desdemona is a whole, versus
being separate layers; nor how much of her is _taken_ from her
various mounts versus _learned_ or _given_.  (There is that
reference to Ruchia's payment being a deep well...)

And do some demon/rider pairings achieve that state for a while,
then fall from it?  (It takes lots of self-control to _not_
act according to your nature -- but what _is_ the nature of
something that eats souls?  Does it _become_ what it eats?
How much does/can it _learn_ as opposed to _taking_?)

Tony Z

--
The most important thing in the kitchen is the waste paper basket
and it needs to be centrally located.  -- Donald Knuth