[LMB] OT: Wouldn't it be nice if democracy was a little more democratic?

Damien Sullivan phoenix at mindstalk.net
Mon Jul 11 01:14:48 BST 2016

On Sat, Jul 09, 2016 at 05:44:07AM -0600, WILLIAM A WENRICH wrote:
> Pure democracy is wolves and sheep deciding the lunch menu. Someone (actually a lot of someones) will be eaten or someone will starve.

Usually there's more sheep than wolves, so that sounds like a good deal.
And if there's someone who needs to eat sheep around, then your problem
isn't democracy.

"Democracy is vampires and humans deciding the lunch menu."

Of course, if you don't have obligate vampires around, then stuff like
actual lunch can be left up to individual choice and markets.  Government
is for the stuff that can't be left up to individual choice, like "what
temperature should the planet be" or "can people spew stuff into the
air" or "are we all obliged to chip in for common welfare and security?"

-xx- Damien X-)