[LMB] A modest proposal

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Mon Jun 13 22:46:25 BST 2016

On Mon, 13 Jun 2016 15:39:43 -0600, Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net>
wrote:

>> On Jun 13, 2016, at 3:23 PM, Marc Wilson <marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that."
>> As if that gives them certain rights.  It's actually nothing more... than a whine.
>> "I find that offensive."  It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to
>> be respected as a phrase.  "I am offended by that."  Well, so fucking what?
>> - Stephen Fry
>
>I like a lot of what he says, but I do care whether I might offend someone.

I don't set out to offend people, but there are what I think of as
"offence tourists", who take it upon themselves to be offended by my
life choices, political opinions, whatever.  And they imagine that their
offence is some sort of moral trump card.  It is *those* people to whom
that quote is aimed.
--
"If it's in the news don't worry about it. The news, by definition,
is about incredibly rare risks."   - Bruce Scheier