[LMB] OT: Hamlet - it's full of quotations

James M. BRYANT G4CLF james at jbryant.eu
Wed Jun 29 10:13:01 BST 2016

I went to a funeral yesterday (a common sadness
when you get to my age) and asked someone where
the "funeral baked meats" were being served - a
common expression in England in my generation for
the meal served after a funeral. I was congratulated
on having a Shakespearean quote for everything.

Only when I checked it out did I discover that
I, and most of my contemporaries, had been quoting
Hamlet whenever we used the phrase.

"Thrift, thrift, Horatio! The funeral baked meats
did coldly furnish forth the marriage tables."

James - who frequently gets his quotes from other
people and remains unaware of their origins