[LMB] UR impact

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Tue Mar 1 00:12:13 GMT 2016

On Feb 01, 2016, at 04:42 PM, "M. Haller Yamada" <thefabmadamem at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>Personally, I didn't find the gestation to be the hard part of having children.
It's that first 100 days of babyhood that is such a killer -- giving up one's
personhood to become a parent, the sleepless nights, both baby and parent
figuring out how to please the other.<<

Heavens, yes! I give a blessing to many pregnant women:
May you have an easy delivery, the child an APGAR score of 8 or 9 (10 is rarely given), the child take to nursing quickly and also learn to sleep through the night quickly. May you have enough support in the first year, and your childless friends keep coming round for needed adult conversation and social interaction.

>> The societies that allowed incest in the past seemed to do quite OK for decades or even centuries, but I do think they suffered in the long run from more than Hapsburg Chin.

Congenital diseases with no cure can pop up in a small population even without incest. Just finished Bitter Harvest, by Sheila Connolly, about intermarriage in rural farming communities, featuring Batten Disease. It's a tragedy, but argues for genetic counselling. I had it sort of as a matter of course when I went for chorionic villius sampling (done earlier that amniocentesis, without a huge needle). We both have French, German and English ancestry--he also has Irish, and I also have Lebanese. We were asked if we could have any relatives in common: my response was, Not likely in the last 200 years, possibly longer. I don't think any of our families were from the same area in those countries.

Marina