[LMB] LMB as Mary-Sue

Eric Oppen ravenclaweric at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 02:16:11 GMT 2016

A lot of Kirk's love life came from the problem of writers having to find
plot complications to fill out an episode.  Combine that with the episodic
nature of the show (actually having things in one episode directly affect a
later episode was still an undiscovered country, if you'll pardon the
phrase; I don't think it hit TV until later) and the nature of the man's
job, and you have a lot of fleeting romances.  He did have enough sense
(usually) to know that fooling around with his crew (who were, after all,
the only constant presences in his life) was not a good idea.

Would you all have preferred that the series be set on the _ISS
Enterprise,_ with an acknowledged "captain's woman?"  (Now, that would be
an interesting challenge to writers, wouldn't it?  Writing episodes for a
show set in a place where people are supposed to be evil...)

 --Eric, who would love, when I get my other fanfiction projects wrapped,
to write a story set in a Mirror-Vorkosiverse.  Meet Aral Vorkosigan, the
Butcher of Komarr, Slaughterer of Sergyar and Late Returner of Library
Books of Barrayar; his wife, Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan, who sold out
Beta Colony for a life of luxury and incidental servant-torture on
Barrayar, their sons, Miles, the evil genius with a twisted smile and a
knife for every back, and Mark, who's so psycho that even the Barrayarans
are terrified of him, and their cousin Ivan Vorpatril, the ruthless son of
the woman all call the Black Widow of Barrayar...