[LMB] LMB as Mary-Sue

William A Wenrich wawenri at msn.com
Fri Mar 4 22:27:01 GMT 2016

-----Original Message-----
From: lois-bujold-bounces at lists.herald.co.uk [mailto:lois-bujold-bounces at lists.herald.co.uk] On Behalf Of Howard Brazee
Sent: Thursday, March 3, 2016 8:58 PM
To: Discussion of the works of Lois McMaster Bujold. <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [LMB] LMB as Mary-Sue

> On Mar 3, 2016, at 8:49 PM, M. Haller Yamada <thefabmadamem at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Sylvia: Heinlein had that, male & female - but on the frontier, where
> 'do it
>
> yourself or it don't get done' was the norm.
> --
> Micki: Not sure how tongue-in-cheek you are here, but while that is
> the American mythos, it isn't the American fact.
…

Certainly the myth of the super-competent individual is pervasive.   And lots of people will vote for someone who has been successful in a particular field in the belief that competent == competent.    But nobody’s always competent in *any* field, much less in all fields.
Also, it seems that the higher the level of competence the narrower the field. Example: Doctor, Surgeon, Neurosurgeon.