[LMB] OT: once more - with feeling ...

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Wed Mar 9 23:51:51 GMT 2016

On Wed, Mar 09, 2016 at 06:25:34PM -0500, Aruvqan wrote:

> On 3/9/2016 11:47 AM, Howard Brazee wrote:
> >>On Mar 9, 2016, at 9:39 AM, Lois McMaster Bujold <lbujold at myinfmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >>  but living with both a great library system and the bottomless information resources of the internet has more than replaced that hypothetical need.
> >>
> >>The limiting factor for me is no longer access to books, but time and eyeball endurance, especially, alas, the latter.
> >>
> >>Ta, L.
> >

> >One thing which downsizing shows is that things I value aren’t valued the same way by my heirs.   When I die, they will have their own collections, and books are cheap enough that they can have their own libraries - if they choose.
> >
> I think that in all honesty, tree books will never totally vanish,
> they will become the expensive art objects that they once were back
> when they were hand inscribed and created, they will end up as the
> showpieces [like in the middle ages, where a huge private library
> was in the tens of books...] and the everyday reading will be
> ebooks.
>
> And I am going through the whole preparing the personal property
> claim ... Rob and I sifted through the rubble of the house and took
> pictures of what was recognizable and it is being turned into a
> spreadsheet and DVD of pictures ... and in discussing random stuff
> with Meg, the claims adjuster assigned, I have caused her to
> actually have minor panic attacks. One was when I commented that I
> was very glad I had the Oxford $200 Thucydides History of the
> Peloponnesian War instead of the 17th century $40 000 one ... and
> she further choked on the professional kitchen equipment [what,
> everybody doesn't have a sous vide, a professional meat slicer or a
> fry-well?] and my collection of reference books [an original Boston
> Cooking-School Cook Book, a Soup for the Qan, Queen Elizabeth's
> Wardrobe Unlock'd, several variants of some rare textbooks on
> archeology of steppes peoples...] and a random discussion of stamps
> franked and unfranked from mainly Western Europe from the mid 1800s
> to mid 1900s including some of the odder between the war
> geopolitical units that got involved in the whole Axis vs Allies
> shindig [Saar  region? Really Dad?!]
>
> I mean, just the media tab is around 600 lines of just what we could
> find of books, DVDs CDs and artwork. She choked when I pointed out
> that the way the policy is writ, *exact* replacement is what is
> called for. If I claim for a Fannie Farmer's Boston Cooking-School
> Cook Book, then bedamned they get me a price from ABEBooks so I am
> able to buy that specific edition, not a reprint. I told her that I
> would be willing to take yard goods, notions and the goodies from
> Fire Mountain Gems to reproduce my Elizabethan gowns ... I won't
> even charge them my hourly rate for redoing it .. she sort of choked
> at seeing that they can sell in the *thousands* of $US ... and I had
> to explain that they all tend to be handmade and decorated and can
> [...]

Whaddaya wanna bet that the insurance company insured you without
doing or seeing an accurate inventory of what is actually there, and
without any clue what "full replacement cost" would come to. I betcha
if you insure with them again, they'll charge a whole lot more!

                        The Lord is like a strong tower.